Enterprise resource planning (ERP) systems integrate internal and external management management information across an entire organization – embracing finance/accounting, manufacturing, sales and service, customer relationship management, etc. ERP systems automate this activity with an integrated software application. The purpose of ERP is to facilitate the flow of information between all business functions inside the boundaries of the organization and manage the connections to outside stakeholders.
ERP systems can run on a variety of computer hardware and network configurations, typically employing a database as a repository for information.
ERP Importance :
- Accounting is the fundamental basis of all business activity.
- ERP has accounting in the backend and supply chain in the fore.
- Supply chaining means non redundancy and automation to the whole process.
Open Sources ERP Software:
- Open Source has now moved higher the value chain to encompass business enterprise applications.
- Focus on business solutions and independent of other Open Source utilities such as Linux, Apache and MySQL.
- Highly complex to implement as ERP in itself is complex.
- Shall compete with proprietary ERP Software such as SAP, MS Navision, Oracle Financials and JD Edwards.
Examples of Open Source ERP:
- Compiere ERP/CRM
- OpenBravo ERP
- ADempiere Bazaar
- Dolibarr ERP/CRM
- Pentaho (BI)
- SugarCRM (CRM)
- Xtuple postbooks